The roof is what separates your living space from the open elements — rain, snow, sun, and wind — which is why it’s vital that your roof is up to the job.
Many of us have probably heard at least one horror story of a friend or family-member waking up on a rainy night, only to find a drip into their bedroom coming from a poorly fitted or damaged roof — and nobody wants to be that person. So how does a roof go suddenly from functional, to leaky?
Some of the most common culprits include:
- High heat and direct sunlight – Shingles and sometimes even the underlying structure can sometimes warp due to heat — an issue very common in the Greater Houston Area.
- Strong winds and storms – Not only can wind damage your roof, but loose roof fittings can also be potentially dangerous.
- Animals and infestations – Birds, insects, mice and rats can all cause an issue by nesting, or otherwise interfering with your roof.
- Improper roof installation – This is an issue that is especially common with older houses, or houses where the initial construction team didn’t follow proper building code.
- Neglect – Periodically, most roofs will require some kind of maintenance. As such, it’s important not to leave it until it’s too late.
Ideally, you want to catch these kinds of problems before they arise, ensuring you properly identify both if and when your roof needs maintenance. To help you, we’ve made a list of the most common tell-tale-signs of roofing problems.
Sign #1: Shingle damage
There are all sorts of ways your shingles can get damaged — but the important thing is to know how to identify it. Any slight discoloration is usually nothing to worry about — but buckling, bending and cracking are all signs that you should get your shingles replaced. Any signs of warping and irregularities in the shape may be a sign that it is time to invest in a roof replacement.
Sign #2: Rot and plants are growing
Another crucial thing to look out for is rot, moss, or plants.
If you see any green growing on or between your shingles, this can mean that there is some damage to the underlying structural integrity. Shingles loosened in this way can lead to bigger problems down the road. Untreated, plantlife in your roof may lead to weather and water damage and costly refurbishments.
Sign #3: Higher energy bills
If you suspect that you’ve found signs of damage to your roof, have a look through your last few electricity bills. When your energy bills steadily increase without an associated increase in temperature control usage, this can be a sign that hot or cold air is leaking in through your roof.
In the long run, unchecked loose roof insulation can add up to huge expenses — which is why it’s best to catch this problem before it becomes a bigger, costlier one. A simple roof repair job could be exactly what you need to nip this problem in the bud.
What’s the next step?
Once you’ve identified that there is an issue with your roofing, it’s important that you have a professional take a look as soon as possible. All it can take is one bad storm to take a problem from bad to worse.
At 12 Stones Roofing, we pride ourselves on being able to handle any job, big or small, residential or commercial. We strive to make sure that regardless of how large the project is, we make the whole process from start to finish as easy as possible — whether it’s a roof repair, installation or replacement job.
If you have any questions, queries or would like a consultation, please don’t hesitate to call us at 832-905-9823 or visit our website. Our dedicated staff are ready to help!